Energy packed dates & cacao bliss balls
These take no time to make – if you prepare plenty of the ‘base’ recipe mix, divide them into portions & you can make a whole variety of different flavours to see you through the week.
Dates are a good source of various vitamins and minerals. Its also a good source of energy, sugar and fiber. Essential minerals such as calcium, iron, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, magnesium and zinc can be found in dates. It also contains vitamins such as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, vitamin A and vitamin K.
*Best eaten post training!*
- ¼ cup raw cacao
- ¼ cup shredded/desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup unsalted almonds or cashews (chop in food processor)
- 1tsp of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar or Stevia (better option for low sugar)
- 6-8 dates. pitted
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla (pods are best but extract works too)
- 1 tablespoon either chocolate or vanilla protein powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
– Add goji berries, chia seeds, maca powder, spirulina/greens for a more nutritious and filling snack
– Roll in sesame seeds, LSA, chia seeds or linseeds instead of coconut (these work especially well if you’re mixing in spirulina or greens powders)
– Add a tablespoon of peanut butter instead of the coconut oil
- Add all the ingredients except desiccated coconut) to a food processor and blend until they combine into a sticky ball if it’s too dry add a little water.
- Scoop out individual portions and roll into little balls with your hands.
- Put desiccated coconut on flat surface and roll balls into cover
- Refrigerate balls for at least 1 hour before serving.
Depending on the size of your portions, the recipe will make 8 to 15 balls
Can be kept for at least 2 weeks in the fridge (if they last that long!)
Questions? Contact me here. Lindsay!